- TIES Overview
- Our Mission
- Our Members and Partners
- Our Team
- Project Summaries
- Annual Reports
- Our Story
- What is Ecotourism?
- TIES Lifetime Achievement Award
- Employment Opportunities
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
- TIES Overview
- Find Members
- Certification and Standards
- Climate Change and Tourism
- Indigenous Knowledge
- Job Board
- Get Involved
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Tourism Conference
- Opportunities for Professionals
- Opportunities for Travelers
- Opportunities for Students
- Become a Sponsor
- Connect to us
- TIES News
- Industry News
- Member News and Projects
- Browse by Region
- Newsletter Archive
- eNewsletter Sign Up
- For Members
University Consortium Certificate
What is UCC?
The University Consortium Certificate (UCC) in Sustainable Tourism is a certificate program for university students that fosters a holistic understanding of ecotourism and sustainable tourism through multi-disciplinary education. The UCC certificate provides a solid educational foundation with a combination experiential learning industry-based opportunities.
The UCC Program offers the opportunities to:
- Develop relevant skills through a flexible curriculum.
- Gain credible professional credentials.
- Prepare for a career in ecotourism and sustainable tourism.
The UCC Study Plan incorporates:
- At least one international course provided through a UCC member.
- At least one web-based or onsite seminar or workshop through TIES.
- An internship focused on elements of ecotourism consisting of 400 hours.
How To Participate in the UCC
Students: The UCC Program is for students who have completed their Freshman and Sophomore year and hold the equivalent Junior or Senior standing. Please contact the Academic Consortium Advisors at UCC member universities directly (see the list below) to discuss your application. If you are not enrolled in one of the member universities, but are currently enrolled full time in a university in the United States or Canada, please contact: ucc[at]ecotourism.org for further enrollment instructions.
Universities: The UCC program assists member universities in the provision of a concentration of study in ecotourism and sustainable tourism within a wide range of disciplines including architecture, business, environmental studies, geography, hospitality, law, public administration and recreation. Please contact: ucc[at]ecotourism.org to learn more about the application process and to set up meetings with UCC advisers.
Download Student Brochure
Download University Brochure
UCC Program Benefits
Benefits for Students
• Industry-wide and academically recognized endorsement.
• TIES Professional membership (2 years).
• Access to potential employers and research projects.
• Practical hands-on experiences, projects, and skill development.
• Experiential education focus appropriate to a range of professions.
• Opportunities in relevant study abroad programs and coursework.
• Professional employment opportunities through direct field contacts.
Benefits for UCC University Members
• The opportunity to offer unique experiential learning options.
• TIES College & University Premium Plus membership.
• Enhanced recruitment opportunities for the University and department.
• Increased program offerings without increasing faculty teaching loads.
• Increased industry and professional contacts.
Current UCC Members
Jerusha Greenwood, Ph.D.
Recreation, Parks & Tourism Administration Natural Resources Management
Kelly S. Bricker, PhD
Department of Parks, Recreation, & Tourism
Dave Smaldone, Ph.D.
Recreation, Parks & Tourism Resources
Division of Forestry & Natural Resources
University of Minnesota
Ingrid E. Schneider, Ph.D.
Department of Forest Resources & Tourism Center
John Salazar, Ph.D., CHE
Department of Hospitality Management
Dr. David Jones
Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies