- TIES Overview
- Our Mission
- Our Members and Partners
- Our Leadership
- Project Summaries
- Annual Reports
- Our Story
- What is Ecotourism?
- TIES Lifetime Achievement Award
- Employment Opportunities
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
- TIES Overview
- Find Members
- Get Involved
- Global Conference and Trade Fair
- Opportunities for Professionals
- Opportunities for Travelers
- Opportunities for Students
- Become a Sponsor
- Connect to us
- TIES News
- Industry News
- Member News and Projects
- Browse by Region
- Newsletter Archive
- eNewsletter Sign Up
- For Members
The Harmony Hotel
The Harmony Hotel is the perfect combination of low-key luxury, nature, wellness and sustainability. Situated on Guiones Beach in Nosara, Costa Rica, a spot well renowned for its beautiful surroundings and impressive surf, this is an excellent place to unwind, relax and get in tune with your natural rhythm.
The Harmony is a 25 room hotel with a strong focus on sustainability striving to show an alternative development model by taking into consideration the local community and the surrounding natural wonders. It caters to upscale surfers, yoga enthusiasts, honeymooners and families with older children looking for an authentic and relaxed experience. The Harmony Hotel restaurant features mostly vegetarian dishes, a raw food juice bar and a Healing Center, a place of restoration, nurturing and peace.
The Harmony Hotel was recently awarded with 5 leaves, the highest rank of certification by the Certificate for Sustainable Tourism (CST). This rigorous certification system, administered by the Costa Rican ministry of tourism, awards hotels with a sustainability rating of leaves based on a scale of one to five that is similar to the Mobile Star evaluation of hotel services.
The Harmony Hotel works diligently to preserve the natural environment surrounding Guiones as well as showcase sustainable development and tourism in a down-to-earth style. Some of our work in protecting the pristine natural areas of the Harmony Hotel on the property itself includes:
- Permaculture-inspired landscape design
- The use of biodegradable cleaning products and personal care items for both guests and employees
- The preference for native plants in our gardens
- Worm-powered composting systems
- Organic, vegetarian food offerings
- Solar panels to heat hot water on property
- Extensive recycling programs and waste management
- Chlorine-free pool cleaning systems Harmony Hotel is the perfect combination of low-key luxury, nature, wellness and sustainability. Situated on the Guiones beach in Nosara, Costa Rica (a spot well renowned for its beautiful surroundings and impressive surf), the Harmony Hotel is an excellent place for guests to unwind, relax, get in tune with their natural rhythm and contribute positively to the local community of Nosara.
The Harmony Hotel truly treasures the Nosara community and looks to give back in meaningful ways to ensure the preservation and sustainable development of its natural resources. Some of our work to preserve the local communities of Nosara includes:
- A policy of hiring and training local residents for positions at all levels of hotel operation
- Supporting local efforts to enhance environmental awareness, including assisting in recycling initiatives, beach clean ups and much more
- Purchasing from local suppliers whose practices are aligned with ours, including organic certified, locally grown coffee
- Working with local schools to improve infrastructure and enhance environmental education and responsibility. Members of the Harmony staff volunteers offer mentorship, experiential learning, and career exploration in areas ranging from language to computer literacy.
- Supporting the Blue Flag certification, an eco-sensitive label that recognizes sustainable beach development through strict criteria dealing with water quality, environmental education and management, safety and more. Playa Guiones has received it for three years now thanks to the Nosara Civic Association and participation of the businesses residing on it.
- Aiding in the Arribadas of the Olive Ridley Sea Turtle Program, a non-profit initiative designed to help the community improve the sea turtles habitat and curtail the poaching of their eggs.