- TIES Overview
- Our Mission
- Our Members and Partners
- Our Leadership
- Project Summaries
- Annual Reports
- Our Story
- What is Ecotourism?
- TIES Lifetime Achievement Award
- Employment Opportunities
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
- TIES Overview
- Find Members
- Certification and Standards
- Climate Change and Tourism
- Indigenous Knowledge
- Job Board
- Get Involved
- Global Conference and Trade Fair
- Opportunities for Professionals
- Opportunities for Travelers
- Opportunities for Students
- Become a Sponsor
- Connect to us
- TIES News
- Industry News
- Member News and Projects
- Browse by Region
- Newsletter Archive
- eNewsletter Sign Up
- For Members
Innovation Award Features Best Practice Examples of Sustainable Tourism Projects
The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) Announces 2010 Innovation Leadership in Sustainable Tourism Award Finalists
WASHINGTON, August 12, 2010 – The Innovation Leadership in Sustainable Tourism Award was created by The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) to recognize individuals and organizations who have demonstrated leadership in innovative actions that effectively promote sustainable tourism and bring tangible benefits to communities and conservation. The Innovation Award aims to honor ecotourism and sustainable tourism pioneers for their contributions, best practices, and most of all leadership in innovative actions supporting sustainable tourism.
The 2010 Innovation Award Finalists in the Individual Category are:
- Santiago Dunn, Executive President, Ecoventura - Galapagos Marine Biodiversity Fund
- Jennifer Holderied, Owner, Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort - Golden Arrow GREEN Program
- Ron Mader, Director, Planeta.com - Indigenous Tourism and Biodiversity Website Award
- Jessica McKelson, Supervisor, Melbourne Zoo - Raw Wildlife Encounters
- Wayne Sentman, Director of Field Education Programs, Oceanic Society - "Red Meatless" Carbon Offset Project
The 2010 Innovation Award Finalists in the Organization Category are:
- Basecamp Explorer - Naboisho Masai Mara Wildlife Conservancy
- Elemento Natural - Photo Expo "Community through the Eyes of Its Children"
- Institute at the Golden Gate - Fiji Islands Water Treatment and Management Systems
- Intrepid Travel - Climate Friendly Trips • Playa Viva - Sal Viva – the Salt of Life
- Rainforest Alliance - Rainforest Alliance Verified Tourism Entrepreneur and Community Business Training Program
- Rios Tropicales - Costa Rica – Bhutan Sustainable Community Development Project
- Thai Ecotourism and Adventure Travel Association - Corporate Social Responsibility and Market Access Partnerships (CSR-MAP)
- The Travel Foundation - 'Roots' Tour Project – The Gambia
- WHL Consulting - Tourism Development Bank
- WildChina - Sichuan Waterless Eco-Toilet Project
Over 200 nominations from 40+ countries around the world were evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Best practice examples based on project/initiative developed in 2009-2010: Is it a new idea or approach implemented in the previous year to create and/or improve sustainability initiatives?
- Positive impact generated by the innovation project: Is it a proposal or concept, or does the nomination provide information about implementation and outcome? •Unique approaches: Does the nomination describe unique approaches that demonstrate out-of-the-box thinking and leadership?
- Contribution to sustainable tourism: Does the nomination highlight the nominee's contribution to bringing positive changes to travel and tourism? Does the program/project engage and benefit tourism stakeholders?
- Lessons learned: Does the nomination provide useful examples and experiences that others can learn from?
Project stakeholders, supporters and members are encouraged to comment on finalist submissions by Monday, August 23, 2010. Testimonial comments are considered for the final selections, scheduled to be made by August 31st, 2010.
The award presentation ceremony for the 2010 Innovation Award will be held during the Ecotourism and Sustainable Tourism Conference (ESTC) this September in Portland, Oregon, USA. The finalists and the two winners (one individual, one organization) will be announced during the ESTC10 Closing Reception on Friday, September 10th, 4:15-6:00pm.